I want to give better instructions about how to get Zotero working and how to get your items into our Zotero group at http://www.zotero.org/groups/hist390-001-2013/items, since it’s a multi-step process. Do also see the Zotero help documentation.
- Download Zotero at http://zotero.org/download. If you use Firefox, you only need to download the Zotero Firefox extension. If you use another browser, you’ll need to download two things: the Zotero stand-alone application AND the Zotero browser extension for your browser: Zotero extension for Chrome or Zotero extension for Safari. If you use Internet Explorer, your only choice is to install a bookmarklet. If you have a Chromebook, you can use Zotero with just the Zotero browser extension for Chrome or the, although it might be a little buggy, or use the bookmarklet.
- Install the standalone application and/or make sure that your browser has the extension (also known as an “add-on”) installed; you might need to restart your browser.
- Sign up for an account at zotero.org by going to https://www.zotero.org/user/register/.
- Log in to zotero.org with your account at https://www.zotero.org/user/login/
- Join our Zotero group by going to https://www.zotero.org/groups/hist390-001-2013 and clicking the “Join Group” button. The “Join Group” button will only appear if you are logged in to zotero.org.
- Open the Zotero application on your computer and find the Preferences with the little gear icon. Enter your zotero.org username and password and click OK to ensure that your materials sync to zotero.org and that your Group membership shows up on your computer. See https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/sync for fuller instructions.
- Use the browser icon to save sources to your Zotero library or enter them manually. Drag any books, articles, and so on in your own Zotero library to the folder in our Group library with your last name.
If you have any trouble, first look around in the help documentation on zotero.org at https://www.zotero.org/support/. If you can’t find what you need, email me.